AUGHANUNCHON, or AGHANINSHON, a parish, in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Letterkenny; containing 1848 inhabitants. This parisk, which is situated on Lough Swilly, and on the road from Letterkenny to Ramelton, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4011½ statute acres, ineluding 184¼ acres of tideway. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £147.
The church is in a very dilapidated state. The glebehouse, a comfortable residence, was built in 1782, by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 300 acres. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Aughnish. The parochial school is supported by an endowment from Col. Robertson's fund, aided by the rector; and there are two other schools.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aghanunshin to another place.
The page for Aghanunshin from Donegal Genealogy Resources
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference C2070514188 (Lat/Lon: 54.974793, -7.677416), Aghanunshin which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Aghanunshinand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)