ALL-SAINTS, a parish, in the barony of RAPHOE, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (W.) from Londonderry, on Lough Swilly, and on the road from Londonderry to Letterkenny; containing 4066 inhabitants. It consists of several townlands formerly in the parish of Taughboyne, from which they were separated and formed into a distinct parish, containing, according to the Ordnance survey, 9673¾ statute acres, of which 102 are covered with water. The land is generally good and in a profitable state of cultivation; the system of agriculture is improving; the bog affords a valuable supply of fuel, and there are some good quarries of stone for building. Castle Forward, the property of the Earl of Wicklow, is at present in the occupatipn of W, Marshall, Esq. A distillery and a brewery are carried on to some extent; and petty sessions are held on the first Friday in every month. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Taughboyne, The church, a neat small edifice, was formerly a chapel of ease to the church of Taughboyne. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, called the union of Lagan, and comprising also the parishes of Taughboyne, Killea, and Raymochy; there are three chapels, situated respectively at Newtown-Conyngham (in All Saints), Raymochy, and Taughboyne. There are two places of worship for Presbyterians, one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the third class; and the other with the Seceding Synod. The parochial school is aided from Robinson's fund; a school of 28 girls is supported by Lady Wicklow, and a school is supported by subscription; there are also three pay schools, in which are about 90 boys and 20 girls, and a Sunday school. The interest of £200, bequeathed by a respectable farmer, is annually divided among the poor.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.