The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Convoy contained the following places:
"CONVOY, a parish and post town in the barony of Raphoe, in the county of Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 21 miles N.E. of Donegal. The parish is bounded on the W. by Lough Deel. It nearly half consists of bog and mountain; the chief summit being Cork Mountain, which rises 1,198 feet above the level of the sea. The river Dale, upon which stands the village, and the road from Raphoe to Stranorlar pass through the parish. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Raphoe, value £100; in the patronage of the Dean of Raphoe. The church was built by means of a gift and loan from the late Boded of First Fruits. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, four Sunday and several day schools scattered through the parish, The principal residence is Convoy House. Fairs are held on the 1st February, 17th May, 21st June, 1st August, 26th October, 3rd November, and 2nd December."
"CORNAGILLAGH, a hamlet in the parish of Convoy, barony of Raphoe, in the county of Donegal, Ireland, 3 miles N.W. of Raphoe."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018