The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Culdaff contained the following places:

"CULDAFF, a parish in the barony of Inishowen, in the county of Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 3 miles E. of Carndonagh, and 6 N.W. of Moville. It lies along the shores of the Atlantic, between the points Malin and Innishowen. The surface is somewhat boggy, with a soil of various quality. The parish is bisected by the intrusion of a strip of the parish of Cloncha. Limestone is abundant. Clonkeen, Carthage, Crucknanionan, and Croagh are the principal mountains, with Squire Carn, which rises 1,058 feet above the sea-level. Cod and salmon used formerly to be taken here in large quantities; in Lough Moneyderragh char is taken in abundance. The river Culdaff takes its rise from Lough Crucknanionan, and falls into the bay, which is a spacious opening lying between Glengad and Dunmore. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Derry, value £459, in the patronage of the Marquis of Donegal. The church is a neat edifice in the early English style with a square tower of later erection. There is a Roman Catholic chapel at Began, and in the Roman Catholic arrangement the parish is partly united to that of Cloncha. There is a parish school for boys, three Sunday and several day schools. The village, sometimes called Milltown, stands on the E. bank of the river. The dispensary is within the Carndonagh Poorlaw Union. The principal residences are Grouse Hall and Culdaff House. Fairs are held on the 10th February, May, August, and November."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018