Drumhome

Primary tabs

"DRUMHOME, a parish in the barony of Tirhugh, in the county of Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 4 miles N. of Ballyshannon. Ballintra is its post town. The parish contains the village of Laghy. It occupies a prominent site at the head of Donegal Bay. The surface is mountainous with bog and moor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Raphce, value £755, in the patronage of Trinity College. There are churches at Ballintra and Rossnowlagh; the former was erected in 1795 partly by means of a donation from the late Board of First Fruits; the latter was built in 1830 wholly by the same board. Here are a Roman Catholic chapel, Presbyterian and Methodist meeting-houses, thirteen day schools, and eight Sunday schools. The principal seats are Coxtown and Brownhall. An abbey is said to have existed here, over which St. Ernon presided, and died in 640; within its walls were deposited the remains of Flahertach O'Maldory, King of Tyrcounell, in 1197. A large warren exists in the N.W. of the parish."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Drumhome which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Drumhome to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

The civil parish of Drumhome contained the following townlands:

topup