"DRUMKEERAN, a parish in the barony of Lurg, in the county of Fermanagh, and partly in the county of Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 1 mile N. of Kesh, its post town. It is situated on the N.N.E. shore of Lough Erne, and on the river Ederney, and includes part of the town of Pettigoe and several small islands. The surface is hilly, with some hog and moorland. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Clogher, value £581, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, a gift from the governors of Vaughan's School, was built in 1774, and enlarged 50 years later, partly by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. Here are three Roman Catholic chapels, a Presbyterian meetinghouse, two Methodist meeting-houses, a school liberally endowed by George Vaughan, and nine other schools. Clonelly is the principal residence. Lime and freestone are procurable, and some Danish raths are visible."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018