GARTAN, a parish, in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N. W.) from Letterkenny, on the road to Dunfanaghy; containing 2109 inhabitants. St. Columb founded a monastery here in 521, of which the ruins still remain.
The parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 44,124 statute acres, including 1590 under water; there is a considerable extent of heathy mountain and bog.
A silver and lead mine was worked here in 1835, in the townland of Warrenstown, but has been discontinued.
Gartan is the residence of Capt. Chambers. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £150. The glebe-house was erected in 1828 by a gift of £400 and a loan of £380 from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church, which is a small plain building, was erected in 1819.
In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also part of Kilmacrenan, in each of which is a chapel. The parochial school, in which about 50 children are educated, is aided by an endowment from Col. Robertson's fund, and subscrip tions from the rector; there is also a Sunday school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gartan to another place.
The page for Gartan from Donegal Genealogy Resources
The entry for Gartan from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference C0016416156 (Lat/Lon: 54.992899, -7.998183), Gartan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Gartanand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)