Hide

INVER

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Inver contained the following places:

"INVER, a parish in the barony of Bannagh, county Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 6 miles W. of Donegal, its post town, containing the post and fair town of Mount-Charles. It is near 9 miles long by 6½ broad. The surface is mountainous and heathy, about one third only being available for cultivation. Benbawn attains an altitude of 1,490 feet. The river Inver rises in the E. and takes a south-westerly course to Inver Bay, at the head of which stands the fishing village of Inver. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Raphoe, value £439, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, a commodious building, erected in 1807, was recently repaired by the ecclesiastical commission. There are a Roman Catholic Chapel and a Methodist meeting-house; also five public, several private, and four Sunday schools. The dispensary for Inver and Mount-Charles is in the Donegal Poor-law Union. The Hall is a seat of the Marquis of Conyngbam, Sea-view of the Earl of Belmore. The other residences are, Salthill, Bonneyglen, Cloverhill, Kilmacredan, and White Hill. The bay, which extends between Doorin and St. John's points, has a pier at Port-of-Inver, and a salthouse. A Franciscan monastery was founded here in the 15th century on the site of one founded by St. Natalis in the 6th century. It was granted to Viscount Clandeboy at the Suppression. Cornelian is found in a small lake near Mount-Charles. Pearls have been found in Lough Tawer."

"MOUNT CHARLES, a post-office village in the parish of Inver, barony of Bannagh, county Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 4 miles W.S.W. of Donegal, and 147 from Dublin. It is situated in an elevated spot on the road from Donegal to Killybegs, and contains a police station and a dispensary within the Donegal Poor-law Union. Mount Charles Hall is the seat of the Marquis of Conyngham, who is the proprietor, and takes from hence the title of viscount. Fairs are held on the 18th January, 20th February, 28th March, 20th April, 5th May, 9th June, 22nd July, 18th August, 22nd September, 22nd October, 18th November, 20th December."

"PORT, a village in the parish of Inver, barony of Bannagh, county Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 5 miles W.S.W. of Mount Charles. It is situated on the W. side of Inverbay. Fairs are held on 14th March, 12th May, 26th June, 26th August, 5th November, and 15th December."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018