Hide

KILMACRENAN

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Kilmacrenan contained the following places:

"KILMACRENAN, a parish and post-office village in the barony of its own name, county Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 7 miles N.N.W. of Letterkenny. The parish is 11 miles long by 6 broad. The surface is mountainous and boggy. Edenacarnan and Lough Salt mountains are prominent summits. The road from Letterkenny to Dunfanaghy passes through the interior. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Raphoe, value £656, in the patronage of Trinity College. The church is an old building. There are two Roman Catholic chapels, a Presbyterian meeting-house, five Sunday and eleven day schools. There is a police station in the village; also a dispensary, within the Millford Poor-law Union. It is alleged that St. Columb founded an abbey here, which was succeeded by a small friary, founded by O'Donnell, and of which the old parish church is a remnant. The Rock of Doune is seen in the vicinity of the village. Fairs are held on the first of every month."

"FALCARRAGH, a post village in the parish of Kilmacrenan, county Donegal, province Ulster, Ireland, 7 miles S.W. of Dunfanaghy. It stands on the shores of Ballyness Bay."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018