The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Mevagh contained the following places:
"MEVAGH, a parish in the barony of Kilmacrenan, county Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, containing the villages of Carrickart and Glen. The parish is 6 miles long, and its extreme breadth is 3 miles. The surface lies between Sheephaven and Mulroy Bay, and includes Rossgul Point. It is mountainous in character, Lough Salt Mountain attaining an altitude of 1,541 feet. Several loughs are within the limits, and the river Lackagh passes along by the S.W. The road from Dunfanaghy to Ramelton passes through the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Raphoe. An old palace is situated at Carrickart. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, Sunday-schools, parochial and other day schools. Petty sessions are held in the village."
"CARRICKART, a village in the parish of Mevagh, barony of Kilmacrenan, in the county of Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 15 miles to the N. of Letterkenny. It is seated on the S.W. coast of Mulroy Bay."
"ROY, an island in the parish of Mevagh, barony of Kilmacrenan, county Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 1 mile N. of Carrickart, and 5 miles N.E. of Glen. It lies in Mulroy Bay."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018