RAYMUNTERDONY, or RAYMUNTERDOYNE, a parish, in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Dunfanaghy, on the road to Dungloe; containing 2193 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the northwestern coast, and, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises 12,017 statute acres; more than two-thirds is mountainous, the remainder being tolerably good land; agriculture is in an improving state: here is a fine slate quarry. Fairs are held on the last Thursday in every month at Falcarogh, on the Cross-roads. Ballyconnell is the residence of the Rev. J. Olphert; and Carrow-Cannon, of T. Olphert, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £102. 12., and the glebe comprises 1804 Cunningham acres, valued at £227 per annum. The glebe-house was erected in 1815, at a cost of £1025, of which £250 was a gift and £500 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a plain neat building, erected by aid of a gift of £500 from the same Board, in 1803.
In the R. C. divisions the parish is called Tullaghobigley- East, being united to part of the parish of Tullaghobigley- East, in which place is the chapel. A school is aided by an annual donation from Col. Robertson's fund, and another is partly supported by Mr. Olphert and the Rector. At Cross-roads there is a dispensary, maintained in the usual manner. In the old church-yard is a remarkable cross, measuring 21 feet in length, which lies on the ground.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.