The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Stranorlar contained the following places:
"STRANORLAR, a parish, post, and market town in the barony of Raphoe, county Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 11 miles S. of Letterkenny, and 143 from Dublin. It is a station on, the Irish North-Western railway. The parish comprises the village of Ballybophey. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Raphoe, value £430, in the patronage of the crown. There are an old church, a Roman Catholic chapel, and Presbyterian and Wesleyan meeting-houses. A parochial and one or two private schools are situated in the town. Drumboe Castle is the seat of Sir E. Hayes, Bart. The town is situated on the river Finn, and contains a market-house, court-house, and dispensary. Petty sessions are held at intervals. Stranorlar Poor-law Union lies within the county of Donegal, and contains 11 electoral divisions. Saturday is market day. Fairs are held on 29th March, 11th June, 6th July, 12th August, 10th October, and 9th and 10th December."
"BALLYBOFIN, (or Ballibophay), a village in the parish of Stranorlar, and barony of Raphoe, in the county of Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, next Stranorlar. It is seated on the banks of the river Finn, a branch of the Foyle. It has a chief station of police, and a market on Thursday for corn and provisions. Fairs are held on the 21st May and the 20th December.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018