In 1868, the parish of Annahilt contained the following places:
"ANNAHILT, a parish in the baronies of Lower Iveagh and Kinelarty, in the county of Down, province of Ulster, Ireland, 4 miles to the S.E. of Hillsborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Down, Connor, and Dromore, value £413, in the patronage of the bishop. There are almshouses for ten old men and ten women, erected in 1835, and endowed-by Robert Sharland. Each of the inmates receives £5 a year. Slate, of good quality, is obtained at Cluntogh. Linen and cotton weaving are carried on, and many females are engaged in spinning. There are two places of worship for Presbyterians. The principal seats are Larchfield and Lough Aghery. An extensive fort once occupied the site of the present churchyard, and other forts exist near it.
"ERNE, a small lake in the parish of Annahilt, barony of Lower Iveagh, county Down, province of Ulster, Ireland. It is very deep, and has an abundance of trout, &c."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018