Ballytrustan (Ards peninsula)
BALLYTRUSTIN, a parish, in the barony of ARDES, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 1 mile (S. E.) from Portaferry; containing 735 inhabitants. This parish, which is not noticed in the Down survey, is situated on the eastern coast; it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, including detached portions, 1681¾ statute acres. The soil is fertile, and the lands are all in an excellent state of cultivation, producing abundant crops. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Down, and is part of the union of Ballyphilip and corps of the chancellorship of Down; the rectory is impropriate in John Echlin, Esq. The tithes amount to £190. 4. 2½. of which £117. 14. 5. is payable to the impropriator, and £72. 9. 9½ to the vicar. There are some remains of the ancient church, and the churchyard is the chief burial-place of the R.C. parishioners. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of each of the unions or districts of Lower and Upper Ardes. At Kerney is a school of 100 boys and 80 girls, aided by subscription and an annual donation of £8 from Dr, Blacker, on whose estate the schoolhouse was erected by a grant of £100 from the Lord- Lieutenant's fund. At Ballyfounder is a very large rath, nearly perfect.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
For an extract from the The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 follow this link.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballytrustan (Ards peninsula) to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference J6249851527 (Lat/Lon: 54.386436, -5.499344), Ballytrustan (Ards peninsula) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
762498,851527and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)