Ballywalter - Ards Peninsula
BALLYWALTER, or WHITECHURCH, a parish, in the barony of ARDES, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Kirkcubbin: the population is returned with the the union of St. Andrew's. This parish is situated on the eastern coast, and with a detached portion comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 3379 statute acres. The village, which in 1831 contained 664 inhabitants, is situated in lat. 54° 32' 20" (N.), and Ion. 5° 28' (W.), and is a coast-guard station, forming one of the twelve that constitute the district of Donaghadee. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Down, and is part of the union of Ballywalter or St. Andrew's; the rectory is appropriate to the Lord-Primate. The tithes amount to £339. 18. 1., of which £226. 12. 1. is payable to the Lord-Primate, and £113. 6. to the incumbent. On the next avoidance of the benefice of St. Andrew's, this parish will become a separate.living, in the patronage of the Lord-Primate. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Lower Ardes. There are two places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster. Some ruins of the old church yet exist.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
For an extract from the The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 follow this link.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballywalter - Ards Peninsula to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference J6142768166 (Lat/Lon: 54.536103, -5.506736), Ballywalter - Ards Peninsula which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
761427,868166and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)