In 1868, the parish of Drumbo contained the following places:
"DRUMBO, a parish in the barony of Upper Castlereagh, in the county of Down, province of Ulster, Ireland, 3 miles N.E. of Lisburne, its post town. It is situated on the river Lagan. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Down, value £389, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was built in 1788, by means of subscription and donations from Mr. Hull, the Marquis of Downshire, and the late Board of First Fruits. The tower has a copper roof. There are Presbyterian and Covenanters' meetinghouses, and nine day schools; one assisted by the Erasmus Smith Charity, and one by the National Board. Eight townlands were taken from this parish and added to that of Drumbeg. The seats are Belvedere, Edenderry, and Purdysbury. Many of the inhabitants are employed in linen weaving. Near the church is an entrenchment called the Giant's Ring, with a large Druidical altar in the centre. St. Patrick is said to have founded a monastery here. There are several raths and earthworks, and ruins of a round tower, beneath which human bones have been discovered."
"PURDYS-BURN, a village in the parish of Drumbo, barony of Upper Castlereagh, county Down, province of Ulster, Ireland, 4 miles S. of Belfast. It stands on the river Lagan, not far from the Giant's Ring."
"THE GIANT'S RING, in the parish of Drumbo, barony of Castlereagh, county Down, province of Ulster, Ireland, 4 miles S. of Belfast. A remarkable circle, about 580 feet in diameter, enclosing a cromlech. The whole is surrounded by a lofty earthwork.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018