In 1868, the parish of Drumgooland contained the following places:
"DRUMGOOLAND, a parish in the barony of Upper Iveagh, in the county of Down, province of Ulster, Ireland, 5 miles S.E. of Rathfriland. It is situated on the road from Castlewellan, its post town, to Banbridge. The surface is mountainous, including a portion of the Slievena-croob range, and loughs Gargarry and Ballyward. Many of the inhabitants are weavers. The living is a rectory in the patronage of the bishop. The church, built in 1822 by the late Board of First Fruits, is a handsome edifice in the early English style. There are four Roman Catholic chapels, which are united to that of Annaghclone, four Presbyterian meeting-houses, one Covenanters', three day schools in connection with the London Hibernian Society, one with the National Board, three Sunday, and several other schools. Ballyward is the principal seat. Here are some very perfect remains of Danish fortifications, and several cromlechs; also a curious old stone, which, for its better preservation, has been built up in the wall of Drumgooland school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018