DUNSFORD, or DUNSPORT, a parish, in the barony of Lecale, county of Down, and province of Ulster,3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Downpatrick; containing 1680 inhabitants, This parish which in situated near the southern entrance to Strangford Lough, comprises, with Guns island, according to the Ordnance survey, 4293 statute acres, all under cultivation, except 40 acres of bog, and very fertile, much grain being exported from the stores at Ballyhornan, when* Small vessels land coal, Gaus island lies off the coast:, which is bold and rocky, and includes Killard Point.
The parish is in the diocese of Down, and is a rectory, forming the corps of the prebend of Dansford in the cathedral of the Holy Trinity, and is the patronage of the Bishop: The tithes amount to £352 of which £263 is payable to the incumbent and £139 to the irnpropriators. The church is a small plain edifice with a bell tower. In the RC. divisions it is the head of a union or district comprising this parish and Ardglass, and containing two chapels, of which the one for Dunsford is at Ballydock. About 350 children are educated in four public schools.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dunsfort to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference J5722741492 (Lat/Lon: 54.298017, -5.58568), Dunsfort which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
757227,841492and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)