Nearly in the centre of the parish is Montalto, formerly the seat of the Earl of Moira, by whom it was built, and now the property and occasional residence of D. Kerr, Esq.: the mansion is spacious and the demesne extensive.
During the disturbances of 1798, a party of the insurgents took up a position in the park, from which they were driven by the king's forces with great loss.
The weaving of linen, cotton, and muslin is carried on extensively, and there are two large bleach-greens in the parish. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dromore, and in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to £775. 3. 8½., of which £200 is payable to the vicar, and the remainder to the bishop. The glebe-house, towards which the late Board of First Fruits granted a gift of £400 and a loan of £400, in 1817, is a handsome residence; and the glebe comprises 42 acres, valued at £86 per annum, and some gardens let to labourers at £5 per annum. The church, built in 1830 at an expense of £850 advanced on loan by the same Board, is a neat edifice with a tower and spire, and is situated close to the town of Ballinahinch. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dunmore, or Maghera-Hamlet; the chapel at Ballinahinch is a large and handsome edifice. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the first class, and with the Seceding Synod, of the first and second classes. About 650 children are taught in seven public schools; the parochial school-house was built in 1824, by aid of a grant from the lord-lieutenant's school fund; and there are six private schools, in which are about 180 children, and six Sunday schools. The late S. M. Johnstone, Esq., bequeathed one-third of the profits of a work entitled the "Medley," published in 1802, amounting to about £4. 3. 4. per annum, which is annually distributed among the poor at Christmas. There are some remains of the ancient church, about a mile from the town, with a large cemetery, in which are interred several of the ancient and powerful family of the Magennises of Kilwarlin.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
|2nd Presbyterian, Edengrove Chapel, Dromore Road, , Ballynahinch, Presbyterian|
|Spar Road/Dunmore Road, The Spa, Presbyterian|
|Dromore Street, Ballynahinch, Congregationalist|
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Magheradrool to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference J3653651630 (Lat/Lon: 54.394975, -5.898609), Magheradrool which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
736536,851630and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)