In 1868, the parish of Magherally contained the following places:
"MAGHERALLY, a parish in the barony of Lower Iveagh, county Down, province of Ulster, Ireland, 2 miles N.E. of Banbridge, its post town. It is 3½ miles long, and its greatest breadth is 2 miles. The surface lies within a short distance of the river Bann, and consists of a rich soil. The interior is crossed by the roads from Banbridge to Belfast and Ballynahinch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Dromore, value £195, in the patronage of the crown and bishop. The church was erected in 1770 by means of a loan by the late Board of Fist Fruits. There is a Presbyterian meeting-house and four or five day schools. Tullybenan is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018