In 1868, the parish of Moira contained the following places:
"MOIRA, (or Moyragh), a parish, post and market town, in the barony of Lower Iveagh, county Down, province of Ulster, Ireland, 14½ miles from Belfast, and 22 W. by N. of Downpatrick. It is a station on the Ulster railway. The parish is 4½ miles long, and its extreme breadth is 2½ miles. The surface lies to the S.E. of Lough Neagh, and is intersected by the road from Lisburn to Belfast, the Lagan canal, and the Ulster railway. It was formerly incorporated with the parish of Magheralin, but in 1725 was constituted a separate parish. The town is well built, and contains a police station and a courthouse. Petty sessions are held fortnightly. Linen-weaving occupies a considerable proportion of the population. Limestone is quarried to some extent, and basalt and coal occur. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Dromore, value £414, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a Gothic structure, forming a conspicuous feature in the town. It was built soon after 1725, at the expense of Sir John Rawdon and the Earl of Hillsborough. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Magheralin. There are a Methodist and two Presbyterian meeting-houses; also Sunday and several day schools in the parish. Moira Castle is the seat of the Marquis of Hastings, who takes from hence the title of Earl Moira. Thursday is market day. Fairs are held on the first Thursdays in February, May, August, and November.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018