AUGHAVEA, or AGHAVEAGH, a parish, in the barony of MAGHERASTEPHENA, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Lisnaskea to Five-mile-town; containing, with the post-town of Brookborough, 6281 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 17,142 statute acres, of which 10,096 are applotted under the tithe act.
About 17½ acres are water, and nearly one-fourth of the land is bog or mountain, the former affording good fuel, and the latter pasturage for cattle; there is no waste land but what may occur from neglect or from a bad system of cultivation. The greater portion of the land is under tillage, and the system of agriculture is improving. There are some excellent quarries of freestone, which is raised for building and for other uses.
The principal seats are Nutfield, the residence of Lady Brook; Abbey Lodge, of J. Macartney, Esq.; Greenhill, of Major Irvine; Whitepark, of A. Bailey, Esq.; and Gola, of Major Dundas. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £300; there are 14 townlands in the parish, the tithes of which are annexed to the old abbey of Lisdoune, in the possession of the Leonard family, and are not included in the applotment under the tithe act. The church is a plain edifice, erected by aid of a gift of £200 and a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813; and divine service is also performed every Sunday in the school-house at Brookborough. The glebe-house is a handsome modern building; the glebe comprises 43 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Aughalurcher, and has a chapel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Brookborough, where is the parochial school, supported under the patronage of Sir A. H. Brooke, Bart. There are also five other schools in the parish. See BROOKBOROUGH.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
|Lismalore Graveyard, Brookeborough, Cemetery|
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aghavea to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
The entry for Aghavea from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference H3871642164 (Lat/Lon: 54.326763, -7.405688), Aghavea which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
638716,842164and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)