DERRYBRUSK, a parish, partly in the barony of MAGHERASTEPHENA, but chiefly in that of TYRKENNEDY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (N. E.) from Enniskillen; containing 1329 inhabitants.
It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4656¼ statute acres, of which 4372¼ are in the barony of Tyrkennedy; 241½ are water, and 2298 are applotted under the tithe act. Adjoining Lough Erne a monastery for Dominican friars was founded, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, by Mac Manus, lord of the place, of which there are still some remains, also traces of the village of Gola, in which it was situated. Derrybrusk House is the seat of J. Deering, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £77. 10. 9¼.; the glebe comprises 40 acres. There has been no church from time immemorial in this parish; the Protestant inhabitants of the central and southern portions attend the churches of the neighbouring parishes, and divine service is performed in a school-house once on the first Sunday in every month. There is a school at Ballyreague, in which are about 50 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Derrybrusk.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Derrybrusk to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
Note that the townlands of Ballyreagh, Glassdrumman & Largy are in a detached portion, to the north of the main parish.
The entry for Derrybrusk from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference H2905741729 (Lat/Lon: 54.32349, -7.554177), Derrybrusk which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
629057,841729and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)