The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Devenish contained the following places:
"DEVENISH, a parish in the barony of Magheraboy, in the county of Fermanagh, province of Ulster, Ireland, 4 miles N.W. of Enniskillin, its post town. It is situated on the river Scillies, and on the shores of lower Lough Erne. The surface is mountainous and boggy, but the soil rich. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Clogher, value £588, in the patronage of the bishop. The church stands in the village of Monea; it is an ancient plain building. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Garrison built by the late Board of First Fruits. There are Roman Catholic chapels at Derrygonnelly and Monea, which are mutually united. At Springfield and Derrygonnelly the Presbyterians have meeting-houses. The principal seats are Ely Lodge, the residence of the Marquis of Ely; Castletown, and Hall Craig. Limestone quarries are extensively worked here. To the E. of the parish, at the head of Lough Erne, lies Devenish Island, on which are the ruins of the church of St. Molush, founded about 1130; also rains of an abbey with a stone bearing a Saxon inscription, and of a round tower, restored by the Hon. and Rev. C. Maude."
"GARRISSON, a village in the parishes of Devenish and Inishmacsaint, in the barony of Magheraboy, county Fermanagh, province of Ulster, Ireland, 4 miles S. of Belleek. It is situated at the head of Lough Melvin, where the river Roogagh empties itself into that lough. It contains a police station, a chapel-of-ease for Devenish, and a Roman Catholic chapel. Fairs are held on the 21st May, 19th July, 21st October, and 21st December."
"MONEA, a village in the parish of Devenish, barony of Magheraboy, county Fermanagh, province of Ulster, Ireland, 5 miles N.W. of Enniskillen. It is situated on the road from thence to Garrison. Here are the parish church of Devenish, a Roman Catholic chapel, and a police station. There are remains of Hume's Castle, built at the plantation of Ulster."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018