"DRUMKEERAN, a parish in the barony of Lurg, in the county of Fermanagh, and partly in the county of Donegal, province of Ulster, Ireland, 1 mile N. of Kesh, its post town. It is situated on the N.N.E. shore of Lough Erne, and on the river Ederney, and includes part of the town of Pettigoe and several small islands. The surface is hilly, with some hog and moorland. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Clogher, value £581, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, a gift from the governors of Vaughan's School, was built in 1774, and enlarged 50 years later, partly by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. Here are three Roman Catholic chapels, a Presbyterian meetinghouse, two Methodist meeting-houses, a school liberally endowed by George Vaughan, and nine other schools. Clonelly is the principal residence. Lime and freestone are procurable, and some Danish raths are visible."
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868
|Chapel of Ease, Boa Island, Church of Ireland|
|Colaghty Parish Church, Keeran, Church of Ireland|
|Parish Church, Tubbrid, Church of Ireland|
|High Street, Pettigo, Presbyterian|
|St Joseph, Monavreece, Catholic|
|St Mary, Bannagh More, Catholic|
|St Patrick, Montiaghroe, Catholic|
Tullyhommon on wikipedia
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Drumkeeran to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
The entry for Drumkeeran from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference H1823566927 (Lat/Lon: 54.550355, -7.718957), Drumkeeran which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
618235,866927and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)