GALLOON, a parish, partly in the baronies of KNOCKNINNY and CLONKLLY, but chiefly in that of Coole, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 5½ miles (S. S. E.) from Lisnaskea, on Lough Erne, and on the road from Cavan to Enniskillen; containing 10,506 inhabitants. The parish, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises (including islands) 25,287 statute acres, of which 432½ are in the barony of Knockninny, 9341¼ in that of Clonkelly, and 15,513¼ in that of Coole; about two-thirds are good arable and pasture land, 1455½ are m Upper- Lough Erne, 1072 in small lakes, and of the remainder a very large portion is bog, which is easily reelaimable. The system of agriculture is in a very unimproved stae; limestone is abundant, and freestone of good quality is procured for building and other purposes. The only seat of importance is Crom Castle, the residence of the Earl of Erne, about three miles from Newtown-Butler, a handsome mansion recently erected, in which is still preserved the armour worn by McCarthy Moore at the battle of Kilgarret.
The lake affords considerable facility of water conveyance, and it is in contemplation to open the port of Ballyshannon by the river Erne; there is a large flourmill at Roosky, in this parish. The living is n rectory, in the diocese of Clogher, and the corps of the chancellorship of the cathedral of Clogher, in the patronnge of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £410, and the grows annual value of the benefice, including glebe, is £540.
There is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises 128 Irish acres. The old church was burnt by an accidental fire in 1819, and the present spacious cruciform edifice was erected in 1821, by aid of a grant of £2000 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district comprising also four townlands of the parish of Drummully; there are two chapels, situated at Newtown-Butler and Donagh; the former erected in 1830, at tiu expense of £400, and latter in 1826, at an expense of £500. There are also places of worship for Wesleyan and Primitive, Wesleyan Methodists; the latter is a fine new building, one-half of the expense of which was contributed by J. Butler Danvers, Esq. About 670 children are taught in five national and four other public schools; and there are six private schools, in which are about 540 children, and ten Sunday schools. There are several raths in the parish; and at Mulnagone is a chalybeate spa, strongly impregnated with sulphur, which has been found effiencious in chronic diseases. There are some ruins of old churches on the island of Galloon and also at Donagh.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
|Church Ruins, Donagh, Church of Ireland|
|Church Ruins, Galloon, Church of Ireland|
|Parish Church, Ballagh, Church of Ireland|
|Parish Church, Sallaghy, Church of Ireland|
|St Comgall, Newtownbutler, Church of Ireland|
|Drumcru Road , Newtownbutler, Presbyterian|
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Galloon to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
The entry for Galloon from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference H4089428178 (Lat/Lon: 54.200948, -7.374131), Galloon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Galloonand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)