Magheracross (Fermanagh portion)
The civil parish of Magheracross is split into of three separate parts: The main section and also one detached portion (the townland of Sessiaghs).are in County Fermanagh, along the border with County Tyrone. The third portion (the townlands of Sheridan & Roscor) lies within County Tyrone.
MAGHERACROSS, a parish, partly in the barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and partly in the barony of LURG, but chiefly in that of TYRKENNEDY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 5½ miles (N. by E.) from Enniskillen, on the road to Omagh; containing 5313 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 10,452¼ statute acres, of which 343¾ are in the barony of Omagh, 170¼ in Lurg, 71 water, and 7505 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6015.2. 9 per annum. About 50 acres are woodland, 1500 waste and bog, and the remainder good arable and pasture land; the soil is fertile, the system of agriculture improved, and there is a good supply of peat for fuel. The principal seats are Jamestown, the residence of G. Lendrum, Esq.; Crocknacrieve, of H. M. Richardson, Esq.; and Bara, of the Rev. J. Irwin. A large fair, chiefly for horses, is held on Feb. 12th at Ballinamallard.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £328. 4. 2. There is no glebehouse; the glebe comprises 300 acres, valued at £176 per annum. The church is a plain neat edifice in good repair, and was erected about 50 years since. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Whitehall, or Derryvullen; the chapel is a small thatched building. There are places of worship for Wesleyan and Primitive Wesleyan Methodists in connection with the Established Church. About 400 children are taught in the parochial and six other public schools, of which a female school is supported by G.
Lendrum, Esq.; and there are five private schools, in which are about 200 children; two Sunday schools, and a dispensary.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
|Church Ruins, Magheracross, Church of Ireland|
|Magheracross Parish Church, Ballinamallard, Church of Ireland|
|Coa Road, Coa, Methodist|
|Main Street, Ballinamallard, Methodist|
|Mullaghmeen Road, Knockmanoul, Wesleyan Methodist|
|St Mary, Coa, Catholic|
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Magheracross (Fermanagh portion) to another place.
See the parish page on logainm.ie (The Placenames Database of Ireland)
The entry for Magheracross (Fermanagh portion) from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference H2733551935 (Lat/Lon: 54.415266, -7.57971), Magheracross (Fermanagh portion) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
627335,851935and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)