The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Tomregan contained the following places:

"TOMREGAN, a parish in the baronies of Lower Loughtee and Tullyhaw, counties Cavan and Fermanagh, province of Ulster, Ireland, including Ballyconnell, its post town. The surface is mountainous, consisting generally of waste land. The parish is crossed by the road from Belturbet to Swanlinbar, and by the river Woodford. It contains the town of Ballyconnell (which see) and a part of Slieve Russell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Kilmore, value £478, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was built about 1786 by Colonel Montgomery, and enlarged in 1820, partly by means of a loan and gift from the late Board of First Fruits. It stands on the road to Ballinamore and Forms. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a meeting-house for Wesleyans, several public and two private schools. The principal residence is Ballyconnell House, on the river Woodford. Silver, iron, lead, coal, granite, and limestone are found. Several singular caves are to be seen in the mountains."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018