"Burnchurch", or Kiltraneen, a parish, partly in the barony of Galmoy, but chiefly in that of Shillelogher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Kilkenny; containing 1450 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Kilkenny to Carrick-on-Suir, and comprises 5373 statute acres: it is principally under an improved system of tillage; there is plenty of limestone, used chiefly for burning into lime. Farmley, the seat of R. Flood, Esq., is situated in a well-planted demesne, and was the residence of Rt. Hon. Henry Flood, one of the most distinguished members of the Irish House of Commons in 1791. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, to which the vicarages of Danesfort, Kilfeara, Abbey-Jerpoint, West-Jerpoint, Ballylinch, and Grangeleggan or Grangeclovan, and the denominations of Dunbell, Grange-Kilree, Woollen-Grange, Blackrath-Grange, Garran, Mocktown or Rathbin, Ardera, Lismatigue, and Plebestown have been immemorially united and were consolidated by act of council in 1678, forming the union of Burnchurch, which is in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of Christchurch, Dublin: the tithes of the parish amount to £320. 12. 6. payable in moeities to the vicars choral and the vicar. The church is a neat edifice with a steeple, the glebe-house built in 1810, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is included in the four several unions or districts of Danesfort, Freshford, Moncoin, and Ballyhale.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Civil Parish: Burnchurch. RC Parishes: Danesfort; Freshford; Mooncoin, Ballyhale.
Danesfort - Earliest Records: b. Jan 1819; m. Jan 1824.
Freshford - Earliest Records: b. Jan 1773; m. Aug 1775.
Mooncoin - Earliest Records: b. Dec 1797; m. Jan 1772.
Ballyhale - originally part of R. C. parishes of Aghavillar and E. Thomastown
Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil Roman Catholic Time FHLC parish parish period number Burnchurch Danesfort 1819-1876 0926193
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burnchurch to another place.
Townlands (1851)Parish Townland Acres Diocese Burnchurch Ballymack (Desart) 374 Ossory Burnchurch Ballymack (Flood) 200 Ossory Burnchurch Ballyroberts 146 Ossory Burnchurch Booly 261 Ossory Burnchurch Burnchurch 588 Ossory Burnchurch Burnchurch Viper 227 Ossory Burnchurch Coalsfarm 264 Ossory Burnchurch Farmley 255 Ossory Burnchurch Graigue Lower 129 Ossory Burnchurch Graigue Upper 241 Ossory Burnchurch Newlands 148 Ossory Burnchurch Oldtown 390 Ossory Burnchurch Paddock 60 Ossory Burnchurch Sunhill 47 Ossory Burnchurch Washer's Bog 26 Ossory
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S4714647323 (Lat/Lon: 52.575571, -7.305312), Burnchurch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
647146,647323and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)