"Fiddown", a parish and village, in the barony of Iverk, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, on the high road from Kilkenny to Carrick; containing, with the post-town of Pilltown, 4296 inhabitants, of which number, 193 are in the village. This parish, the name of which is said to be derived from Fiodh. "a wood," and Doon, a "rath" or "fort," is bounded on the west by the river Lingawn, which is crossed by a good stone bridge, and on the south by the river Suir; it comprises 10,485 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The village of Fiddown consists of 36 houses, and has fairs on April 25th, June 10th, Sept. 29th, and Nov. 30th. It is situated on the bank of the river Suir, which is navigable throughout the extent of the parish for vessels of large burden, and abounds with excellent salmon and trout. Besborough, the fine old mansion of the Earl of Besborough, is situated in a well-wooded park of more than 500 acres. The house, which is built of hewn blue limestone, is 100 feet in front by 80 feet in depth; the great hall is supported by four Ionic columns of Kilkenny marble, each of a single stone 10 1/2 feet high; it was erected in 1744. The principal seats are Belline, Fanningstown, Tyburoughny Castle, Willmount, Cookestown, Garrynarca, and the glebe-house of Rev. W. Gregory. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, in 1689, to the rectories of Owning and Bewley, and Tubrid, and the rectories and vicarages of Castlane and Tipperaghney, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The glebe-house was built in 1817; and the glebe comprises 48 acres. The church is situated in the village, on the site of an abbey, of which St. Maidoc or Momoedoc is said to have been abbot in 590. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Templeorum; the chapel at Pilltown. In the schools at Pilltown, an infants' school, and a national school at Tubbernabrona, about 300 children are instructed: there are also a private school, in which are about 40 children, and two Sunday schools.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Civil Parish: Fiddown. RC Parish: Owning and Templeorum.
Earliest Records: b. Oct 1803; m. Aug 1815; d. Sep 1803.
Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil Roman Catholic Time FHLC parish parish period number Fiddown Mooncoin 1856-1880 0979702 Owning Templeorum not available
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fiddown to another place.
Townlands (1851)Parish Townland Acres Diocese Fiddown Ardclone 291 Ossory Fiddown Ashtown 766 Ossory Fiddown Ballyglassoon 160 Ossory Fiddown Ballygown 405 Ossory Fiddown Ballynametagh 86 Ossory Fiddown Ballypatrick 38 Ossory Fiddown Banagher 221 Ossory Fiddown Belline & Rogerstown 648 Ossory Fiddown Brenar 311 Ossory Fiddown Cashel or Tobernafauna 79 Ossory Fiddown Corbally 824 Ossory Fiddown Corloughan 356 Ossory Fiddown Dowling 440 Ossory Fiddown Fiddown 466 Ossory Fiddown Fiddown Island 40 Ossory Fiddown Glenbower 244 Ossory Fiddown Gortrush 396 Ossory Fiddown Jamestown 255 Ossory Fiddown Kildalton 799 Ossory Fiddown Kilmanahin 237 Ossory Fiddown Kilmogue 654 Ossory Fiddown Mullenbeg 743 Ossory Fiddown Oldcourt 517 Ossory Fiddown Raheen 584 Ossory Fiddown Rogerstown & Belline 648 Ossory Fiddown Sandpits 158 Ossory Fiddown Templeorum 252 Ossory Fiddown Tinnakilly 262 Ossory Fiddown Tobernabrone 602 Ossory Fiddown Tobernafauna or Cashel 79 Ossory Fiddown Turkstown 260 Ossory
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S4764824396 (Lat/Lon: 52.369518, -7.301185), Fiddown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
647648,624396and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)