In 1868, the parish of Graiguenamanagh contained the following places:
"GRAIGUENAMANAGH (or GRAIGUE), a parish, post, and market town in the barony of Gowran, county Kilkenny, province of Leinster, Ireland, 77 miles from Dublin. It is situated on the right bank of the Barrow, which is navigable here. The surface is hilly, and is traversed on the S. by the roads from Gowran and Goresbridge to New Ross. The soil is good. Brandon Hill and Glencowen Wood are within the limits of this parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Leighlin, value with Ullard, £594, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was built in 1809. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Powerstown. The town has a police station and a dispensary within the New Ross Poor-law Union. In the vicinity are several flour-mills and a brewery. Petty sessions are held in the town. Here are the ruins of a Cistercian abbey founded by William Earl of Pembroke in 1212, and subsequently granted to the Butler family; they contain a fine tomb with an effigy supposed to be of Lord Galmoy. Market days are Mondays and Thursdays. Fairs are held on the 27th January, 4th March, 7th April, 11th May, 11th June, 28th October, and 26th November.