The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Inistioge contained the following places:
"INISTIOGE, a parish and small market and post town in the barony of Gowran, county Kilkenny, province of Leinster, Ireland. The parish is about 3½ miles in length and breadth, and is bounded on the E. by the river Nore. Lead ore is found in small quantities near the river, and there is a quarry of granite. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Ossory, value with another, £426, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was rebuilt in 1824 by the late Board of First Fruits. There are three Roman Catholic chapels, two of which are in the town, all united to that of Rower, a Methodist meeting-house, besides National and four day schools. The demesne of Woodstock adjoins the town, which is situated on the right bank of the Nore, 13 miles S. of Kilkenny, and 63 from Dublin, on the road from thence to New Ross. It consists principally of a quadrangle of houses overshadowed by rows of lime-trees. In the centre of the square stands the fragment of an ancient cross with an inscription to one of the Fitzgeralds. A stone bridge spans the Nore. The dispensary is within the New Ross Poor-law Union. Inistioge is an, incorporated town, and was formerly a parliamentary borough.' It is governed by a portreeve, burgesses, recorder, town-clerk, &c. It returned two members before the Union. The town was anciently protected by a wall. In 1607 it obtained a grant of a market and fair, and in the year following a charter of incorporation, which refers to the place as an ancient borough. Here are rains of an Augustine priory founded by Thomas Fitz Anthony in the beginning of the 13th century, also the remains of Brownsford and Clowen castles. Friday is market day. Fairs are held on the 9th and 13th June and 14th October."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018