Jump to navigation
"Stoneyford", a village, partly in the parish of Ennisnag, barony of Shilleloger, but chiefly in that of Church-Jerpoint, barony of Knocktopher, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 6 miles (S.) from Kilkenny, on the road to Waterford; containing 74 houses and 445 inhabitants. It is a chief station of the constabulary police, and has a penny post to Thomastown. Petty sessions are held every alternate week. Here is a neat R. C. chapel, also a dispensary and fever hospital, maintained in the customary manner; and schools for boys and girls, and one for infants, are patronised by Mr. and Mrs. Flood, of Flood Hall.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]