Kilkenny St. Canice
"St. Canice", a parish, in the county of the city of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster; comprising 6159 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is in the diocese of Ossory; the living is a rectory and a vicarage, united by act of council from time immemorial to the rectories and vicarages of Ballybur and St. Martin, together forming the union of St. Canice, belonging to the vicars choral. Felix O'Dullany, bishop of Ossory about the year 1178, removed the see of Ossory from Aghavoe to the city of Kilkenny, where he laid the foundation of the Cathedral church of St. Canice, which was continued at great expense by Hugh Mapleton, and completed by Geoffrey St. Leger, about the year 1270. Richard Ledredm who was consecrated [bishop of Ossory] in 1318, beautified the cathedral and rebuilt and glazed all the windows, of which the great east window contained some exquisite specimens of scripture history in stained glass; he also built the episcopal palace, near the cathedral. Bishop Hacketm who succeeded in 1460, built the arch of the tower of the cathedral of hewn stone, and appropriated the parish church of Ballybur to the vicars choral. The see of Ossory, centered at St. Canice, continued to be a separate diocese until 1835. In the R. C. divisions the parish of St. Canice is the head of a union, comprising also the parish of St. Maul, and part of Ballybur. The parish of St. Patrick is the head of a union which comprises a part of St. Canice. The chapel of St. Canice is a handsome modern edifice, in the later English style.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]
Civil Parish: St. Canice's. RC Parish: St. Canice's.
Earliest Records: b. Apr 1768; m. Jun 1768.
Cross reference to Family History Library microfilm (double-check with the Library)
Civil Roman Catholic Time FHLC parish parish period number St Canice’s St Canice 1768-1810 0926195
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilkenny St. Canice to another place.
Townlands (1851)Parish Townland Acres Diocese St. Canice Archerstreet Lot 88 Ossory St. Canice Ardboy 43 Ossory St. Canice Ayresfield 43 Ossory St. Canice Ballynalina 290 Ossory St. Canice Bishops Demesne 54 Ossory St. Canice Bishopsfurze 71 Ossory St. Canice Bishopsmeadows 32 Ossory St. Canice Bonnetstown 574 Ossory St. Canice Boolyshea 168 Ossory St. Canice Burntfurze 32 Ossory St. Canice Cappagh 140 Ossory St. Canice Cashel 39 Ossory St. Canice Cloranshea 353 Ossory St. Canice Coolgrange 159 Ossory St. Canice Crokershill 25 Ossory St. Canice Deerpark 530 Ossory St. Canice Dukesmeadows 8 Ossory St. Canice Dunningstown 467 Ossory St. Canice Gardens 81 Ossory St. Canice Jamesgreen 33 Ossory St. Canice Jamespark 40 Ossory St. Canice Keatingstown 733 Ossory St. Canice Kilcreen 42 Ossory St. Canice Kingsland East 161 Ossory St. Canice Kingsland West 75 Ossory St. Canice Lacken 267 Ossory St. Canice Loughmacask 56 Ossory St. Canice Lousybush 107 Ossory St. Canice Lyons 40 Ossory St. Canice Maidenhill 45 Ossory St. Canice Marnellsmeadows 19 Ossory St. Canice Newtown 902 Ossory St. Canice Oldpark 17 Ossory St. Canice Palmerstown 162 Ossory St. Canice Raheennagun 46 Ossory St. Canice Robertshill 67 Ossory St. Canice Sugarloaf Hill 6 Ossory St. Canice Talbotsinch 303 Ossory St. Canice Troyswood 507 Ossory St. Canice Walkinslough 71 Ossory
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S4737156256 (Lat/Lon: 52.655816, -7.300717), Kilkenny St. Canice which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
647371,656256and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)