"Listerlin", or Listerling, a parish, in the barony of Ida, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Inistioge; containing 1551 inhabitants. Th parish is intersected by the Argala, a small mountain river, and is only half a mile from the river Nore; it comprises 5532 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, more than two-thirds of which are in pasture; the remainder, with the exception of a small portion of meadow, is under tillage. The village, which contains 25 houses, is a station of the constabulary police. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The glebe-house was erected in 1821; the glebe comprises 10 1/4 acres. The church was built in 1796. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Rosbercon. About 210 children are educated in a private school. There are several raths in different parts of the parish; and at Listerling is a mount surrounded by a fosse, from which it is supposed to derive its name, originally perhaps Lis-Easterling, or "the abode of the Ostmen;" near it has been found a small artifical cave, and it is traditionally stated that St. Mullen formerly resided at or near this moat.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]