"Odagh", Odogh, or Three Castles, a parish, in the barony of Cranagh, county of Kilkenny, and province of Leinster, 4 1/2 miles (N. W.) from Kilkenny, on the road from Freshford to Durrow; containing 1367 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the river Nore, comprises 4439 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The river, over which is a neat stone bridge, adds much interest to the surrounding scenery, which is also enlivened by the seat of L.S. Ball, Esq., called Three Castles, which is situated in a pleasant demesne; and the Grange, the neat residence of W. Stannard, Esq. At Mount Eagle is an extensive distillery, the property of R. O'Donnell, Esq.: a constabulary police force is stationed in the parish. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, united by act of council, in 1797, to the vicarages of Donoughmore and Coolcraheen, and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of Sir James Tynte, Bart. The glebe-house was erected in 1800; the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church, a neat building, was erected about the year 1796. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Conahy, but chiefly in that of Freshford: the chapel, situated on the townland of Tullow, and called Three Castles, belongs to the latter union. About 30 children are taught in the parochial school, and there are five private schools, in which are about 240 children, and a Sunday school.
[From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)]