The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Cumber Lower contained the following places:

"CUMBER LOWER, a parish in the barony of Tirkeeran, in the county of Londonderry, province of Ulster, Ireland, 5 miles E. of Londonderry, its post town. It is situated on the road from Londonderry to Dungiven. The surface is very mountainous and boggy, and several streams take their course through the interior; the principal of which are the Faughan, rising in Upper Cumber, and Burntallaght, with its fine fall, known as the Neiss. Several handsome bridges facilitate the intercourse of the district. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Derry, value £496, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was built by the late Board of First Fruits in 1795. In the Roman Catholic arrangement the parish is partly taken with Glendermot, and partly with Upper Cumber, and has a chapel at Mullaghbuoy. At Breakfield is a Presbyterian meeting-house. There are schools for boys and girls at Killaloo and Fawney, supported by the rector, and some others are within the parish, one of which was founded and endowed by the Grocers' Company. Lower Cumber was detached from Upper in 1794, and belongs chiefly to the Irish Society. The principal seats are Oaks, Oaks Lodge, The Cross, and the Globe House. There are Druidical remains at Slaght-manus and Mullaghbuoy; and at Listress is a curious artificial cave or grotto."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018