1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Annaduff contained the following places:
"ANNADUFF, (or Annaghduff), a parish in the baronies of Leitrim and Mohill, in the county of Leitrim, province of Connaught, Ireland, near Carrick-on-Shannon. It contains the villages of Drumod and Drumsna, and is situated on the river Shannon, which here expands into two fine loughs. An abbey once existed here, which was established in 766, of which nothing more is known, and no ruins remain. This parish was the scene of a trifling engagement in the reign of William III., between his forces and those of the deposed monarch, and the name of the spot, James's Heap, commemorates the fight. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Kilmore, Ardagh, and Elphin, value £599, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is in the perpendicular style, with a square tower. The district contains limestone and freestone, with some iron ore. The chief residences are: Mount Campbell, lately the seat of Admiral Sir Josias Rowley, Bart.; Derrycarne, and Lismoyle.
"DRUMOD, a post town in the parish of Annaduff, barony of Mohill, in the county of Leitrim, province of Connaught, Ireland, 3 miles S.W. of Mohill. It stands on the borders of Lough Boffin, and is a petty sessions and police station. Here are extensive iron-works. Fairs are held on the 3rd January, 28th March, 14th May, 29th June, 13th August, 10th October, and 10th December."
"DRUMSNA, a post and quondam market town in the parish of Annaduff, in the barony and county of Leitrim, province of Connaught, Ireland, 1 mile S.E. of Jamestown. It is beautifully situated on the banks of the Shannon, which is here crossed by a fine bridge of seven arches. This town was till recently a place of some importance, and carried on a considerable export trade, but it has since rapidly declined. It is a petty sessions and police station. Near the town is the parish church. Here are a Roman Catholic chapel, National school, dispensary, and loan fund. In the neighbourhood is the demesne of Sir Gilbert King, and Mount Campbell, the seat of Sir J. Rowley, Bart. Fairs are held on the 20th May, 22nd June, 25th August, 7th October, and 13th December."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018