"GLENLOUGH, or GLENCAR, a district (ecclesiastical), in the barony of Rossclogher, county of Leitrim, and province of Connaught, containing 1524 inhabitants. It was constituted in 1810, by separating 28 townlands from the parish of Killasnet, and comprises 36122 statute acres, chiefly under pasture. The living in a perpetual curacy, in. the dioeese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Killasnet: the income of the perpetual curate is £69. 5., of which £46. 3. is paid by the vicar of Killasnet, and £23. 2. from the augmentation funds at the disposal of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church is a plain neat building, erected in 1821, at an expense of £553. 16. 11., being a gift from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R.C. divisions it is purt of the dtstriet of Killasnet, and contains a chapel."
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837