The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Inishmagrath contained the following places:
"INISHMAGRATH, a parish in the barony of Drumahaire, county Leitrim, province of Connaught, Ireland, 5 miles S.E. of Drumahaire. It contains the post town of Drumkeeran. The parish is 8 miles long by 6½ broad. It is situated on the bank of Lough Allen. The surface is generally mountainous, but has some arable tracts. It is traversed by the road from Carrick-on-Shannon to Manor-Hamilton. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Kilmore, value £650, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was erected in 1830, by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. It was lately repaired by the ecclesiastical commissioners. There are two Roman Catholic chapels, a parish school, and several private establishments. Strand-hill and Corry Lodge are the principal residences. On an islet in the lough are the remains of a religious house alleged to have been founded by St. Beoy. The abbeys of Conagh and Tarmon, sacked by Cromwell, stood on the side of Lough Allen. Coal, iron, lime, and freestone, with other minerals, are found, part of the parishbeing within the great Connaught mineral district. There is a medicinal spring near Gubacowan.
"DRUMKEERAN, a postal village in the parish of Inishmagrath, barony of Drumahaire, in the county of Leitrim, province of Connaught, Ireland, 8 miles S.E. of Dromahaire, on the road from Carrick-on-Shannon. Petty sessions are held hero, and fairs on the 27th January, second Wednesday in February, 8th March, 4th April, 27th May, 24th June, 18th July and August, 16th September, 19th October, 11th November, and 9th December."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018