KILLARGY, a parish, in the barony of DROMAHAIRE, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Manorhamilton, on the road to Carrick-on-Shannon; containing 4409 inhabitants, of which number 110 are in the village. This parish, including a portion of Lough Clean, or Belhovel Lake, comprises 13,898 statute acres, of which 10,912 are applotted under the tithe act. The land is generally good, and chiefly tinder tillage; the system of agriculture is improved; there is no waste land, except what affords either turbary or indifferent grazing, but there is a large portion of bog; there are some quarries of good limestone both for building and for agricultural uses.
Fairs for live stock are held at Belhovel on Feb. 2d, March 25th, Whit-Monday, Aug. 15th, Sept. 8th, and Dec. 26th. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to £60, of which £40 is payable to the bishop and £20 to the vicar. The church, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £1000, is a neat edifice, built in 1820. The glebe-house, towards which the same Board, in 1815, gave £100 and lent £600, is a good residence; and the glebe comprises 288 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district comprising also part of the parish of Clonlogher; the chapel is situated in the village. About 400 children are taught in four public schools, and there are three private schools, in which are about 220 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.