Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for KILLASNET

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

KILLASNET

In 1868, the parish of Killasnet contained the following places:

"KILLASNET, a parish in the barony of Rossclogher, county Leitrim, province of Connaught, Ireland, containing part of its post town, Manor-Hamilton, and the village of Lurganboy. The parish is 9 miles long by 5 broad. The surface is mountainous and marshy, with Glenade and Glencar loughs. It has a limestone subsoil. The living is a vicarage with Manor-Hamilton, in the diocese of Ardagh. The Roman Catholic chapel at Glencar is united to that of Mullys. There are two Sunday and several day schools. Glenade is the principal residence."

"LURGANBOY, a village in the parish of Killasnet, in the barony of Rosclogher, county Leitrim, province of Connaught, Ireland, 1 mile W. of Manor Hamilton. It is situated on the road from Enniskillen to Sligo, on the Boomid river. The demesne of Lurganboy is seated in the vicinity. Fairs are held on the 21st of every month, and on the 15th of May."

"MANOR-HAMILTON, a small post and market town within the parishes of Killasnet and Cloonclare, in the baronies of Drumahaire and Rosclogher, county Leitrim, province of Connaught, Ireland, 27 miles N.N.W. of Carrick-onShannon, and 129 from Dublin. It is situated on a small stream falling into the river Bonnet, and on the road from Enniskillen to Sligo. It is almost entirely screened by the surrounding rocky hills, and possesses in its outskirts some most imposing views. Here are Killasnet church, a Roman Catholic chapel, and Methodist meeting-house, also the court-house, bridewell, school of the Church Education Society, James Masterson's school, National school, dispensary, and poorhouse. It has a police station, and general sessions are held four times a year, and petty sessions once a fortnight. ManorHamilton was founded by Sir Frederick Hamilton immediately after the rebellion of 1641, when the castle was built, which stands near the town. Though now partially a ruin, it was formerly a stronghold of great strength. It now belongs to Earl Leitrim. ManorHamilton Poor- law Union has 10 electoral divisions in the county Leitrim. Thursday is market day. Fairs are held on the 18th May, 1st July, first Thursdays in August and November, and 7th October, and a great cattle market on the 12th of every alternate month."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018