KILTOGHART, a parish, in the barony and county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with part of the post-town of Carrick-on-Shannon, and the villages of Drumshambo, Leitrim, and Jamestown (which are separately described), 16,434 inhabitants.
It comprises 20,669 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £11,942 per annum: the land is chiefly under tillage, and there is mnch bog and mountain, also quarries of freestone and limestone.
Part of the mountain Slieve-an-irin and several small lakes are in this parish, in which rise the hills of Sheemore, said to contain caves of considerable depth. The principal seats are Jamestown Lodge, the residence of F. O'Beirne, Esq.; Port, of J. H. Peyton, Esq.; Lismore Lodge, of the Very Rev. Dr. Slevin, V.G.; Caldra Lodge, of G. McDermott, Esq.; Castlecarrow, of C. R. Peyton, Esq.; Newbrook, of F. Keon, Esq.; and Keon brook, of J. D. Brady, Esq. At Drumhearny extensive plantations have been laid out by P. Latouche, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £601. The glebe-house was erected by a gift of £100 and a loan of £1050 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1819, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £174 for its repair: the glebe comprises 200 acres. There is a church at Carrick-on-Shannon, and one in Drumshambo. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms two unions or districts, one called Kiltoghart and Gowel, which has chapels at Carrick-on-Shannon, Jamestown, and Gowel; the other called Kiltoghart-Murhane, which has a chapel at Murhane.
There are a Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist meeting-house at Carrick-on-Shannon, and a Wesleyan Methodist meeting-house at Drumshambo. There are twelve public schools, to one of which Mr. P. Latouche allows a house and three acres of land, besides subscribing £15 annually; and to another Lord Duncannon subscribes £5. 5. About 1000 children are educated in these schools, and about 100 in three private schools. At Port are the remains of a monastery, which was converted into a castle to command the ford across the Shannon.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.