1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Rossinver contained the following places:
"ROSSINVER, a parish, partly in the barony of Carbery, county Sligo, and partly in that of Rossclogher, county Leitrim, province of Connaught, Ireland, 5½ miles S.W. of Ballyshannon. Kinlough is its post town. The parish is bounded on one side by the river Drowse, and on the N. by Donegal Bay. The soil is of a medium quality, on a subsoil of limestone. The surface is traversed by the road from Ballyshannon to Manor Hamilton. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Kilmore, value £432, in the patronage of the bishop. The Roman Catholic chapel is the head of a union. There are a parochial and four other public schools. Among the seats are Woodville House, surrounded with plantations, and Mount Prospect. Fairs are held at Kinlough."
"KINLOUGH, a post-office village in the parish of Rossinver, in the barony of Rosclogher, county Leitrim, province of Ulster, Ireland, 11 miles N. of Manor-Hamilton, and 141 from Dublin. It is situated on the road from Ballyshannon to Manor-Hamilton, near Lough Melvin. In the village stands the parish church, the Roman Catholic chapel, a school, and the dispensary, which is within the Ballyshannon Poor-law Union. It is the seat of a chief police station, and petty sessions are held at intervals. Near the village is Kinlough House, a modern residence. Fairs are held on the 6th of every month."
"TULLAGHAN, a village in the parish of Rossinver, barony of Rosclogher, county Leitrim, province of Connaught, Ireland, 3 miles N.N.W. of Kinlough."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018