BALLINLOGHY, or BALLINLOUGH, a parish, in the barony of SMALL-COUNTY, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (E. N. E.) from Bruff; containing 1286 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Pallas-Greine to BrufF, comprises 2007 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is the joint property of the Earls of Sandwich and Aldborough. The land is in general good, and is subdivided into a great number of small farms; the inhabitants are amply supplied with fuel from three bogs in the neighbourhood. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, and forms part of the union of Aney: the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Limerick.
The tithes amount to £243. 16. 10., of which two-thirds are payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar. There is neither church nor glebe-house: the glebe comprises 12 acres of excellent land, which are wholly claimed by the Earl of Kenmare. In the R. C.
divisions it is part of the union or district of Hospital and Herbertstown. Here are two eminences, one called Cromwell's Hill and the other Cromwell's Moat; both have traces of works on them, but apparently of much greater antiquity than the time of Cromwell.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.