BALLINLONDRY, or BALLINLANDERS, a parish, in the barony of COSTLEA., county of LIMERICK, Q2 and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N. W.) from Galbally, on the road to Kilfinane; containing 2999 inhabitants, of which number, 281 are in the village, which is large and of modern erection, consisting of good houses built of stone and roofed with slate; it is a constabulary police station. The parish is the property of the Earl of Kingston. The land is generally good and is mostly under tillage, producing abundant crops: there is a considerable tract of bog, in the centre of which rises a very copious spring supplying two streams, one flowing to the north and the other to the south, and both forming a boundary between this parish and that of Ballingarry. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, and forms part of the union of Duntrileague, and the corps of the prebend of Killenellick in the cathedral of Emly: the tithes amount to £250.
The old church has long since fallen into decay, and is now a picturesque and venerable ruin near the village; in the churchyard is a remarkably fine ash tree. The glebe comprises three acres of excellent land. The R.
C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel, a large handsome building, is situated in the village. There are three pay schools, in.
which are about 150 children; and a dispensary is supported in the usual way.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Ballylanders.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballylanders to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R7709322184 (Lat/Lon: 52.351228, -8.336893), Ballylanders which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
577093,622184and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)