In 1868, the parish of Bruff contained the following places:
"BRUFF, a parish and market town, in the barony of Coshma, in the county of Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles to the N. of Kilmallock, and 134 miles from Dublin. It is situated in a fertile district, watered by the river Dawn, or Morning Star, and is a town of considerable antiquity. It had two castles founded by the De Courcys, which belonged afterwards to the Desmonds. It has been on several occasions the scene of battles and riots. A great part of the parish consists of pastureland. Limestone is abundant, and is quarried in large quantities. The Earl of Limerick is proprietor of the district. In the town, which has one principal street, are a court-house, in which quarter and petty sessions are held, a bridewell, and a police station. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Limerick, Ardfert, and Aghadoe, worth £69, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, with a tower and lofty spire. It contains a monument of the Hartstonges, to whom the town and surrounding district once belonged. There is a handsome Roman Catholic chapel, built in 1833, in the early English style. Among the seats in the vicinity are Rockbarton, that of Viscount Guillamore, Caher, Kilbally-Owen, and Milltown. Traces of the castle and of a friary still exist. Friday is the market day. Fairs are held on the 24th May, the 23rd July, the 18th October, and the 28th November."