CAPPAGH, or CAPPA, a parish, in the Shanid Division of the barony of LOWER-CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (W.) from Adare; containing 694 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Adare to Shanagolden, and comprises 1124 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The soil in some parts is good, but a great proportion of the parish is stony, and in some places the limestone rock rises above the surface; on its border, next to Rathkeale, are some exhausted bogs. The village is a station of the constabulary police; and not far from it is Cappagh House, the residence of R. Peppard, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, and is part of the union of St. Mary and corps of the deanery of Limerick: the tithes amount to £95. The church is in ruins, and there is no glebehouse, but a glebe comprising above eight acres. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Stonehall and Cappagh; the chapel is a large plain thatched edifice. There is a private school of 50 children in the parish. Near Cappagh House are the ruins of Cappagh castle, built by Dermod Mac Einery in the reign of King John, and having fallen into the hands of the Geraldines it shared the fate of their numerous other castles, being confiscated for their rebellion against Queen Elizabeth; it stands on an artificial mound, and the ruins are 90 feet high and form an interesting feature of the landscape.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Cappagh.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cappagh to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R4031745291 (Lat/Lon: 52.556083, -8.880677), Cappagh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
540317,645291and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)