CASTLETOWN, a parish, in the barony of COONAGH, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 7¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Tipperary; containing 1055 inhabitants. This place derives its name from an ancient castle built by one of the O'Hurleys towards the close of the 14th century, and of which there are still some very interesting ruins. The parish is situated on the road from Doon to Tipperary, on the confines of the county, and comprises 6896 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The soil is tolerably fertile, and the land chiefly under tillage; there is an extensive tract of very valuable bog, which in some part lets at the high rate of 18s. per perch. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and is appropriate to the mensal of the Archbishop: the tithes amount, to £67. 2. 10. There is neither church nor chapel. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union of Doon. A little to the south of the castle ruins are the remains of the old parish church, and not far distant are those of the small church of Templebuie.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Castletown to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R8256547097 (Lat/Lon: 52.575297, -8.257895), Castletown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
582565,647097and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)