In 1868, the parish of Clonagh contained the following places:
"CLONAGH, (or Clounagh), a parish in the barony of Lower Connello, in the county of Limerick, province of Munster, Ireland, 4 miles W. of Rathkeale, its post town. The soil is good, and it is watered by the Deel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Limerick, value with Rathkeale, £1,027, in the patronage of the bishop. Here is a Roman Catholic chapel and a day school.
"OALA, a hamlet in the parish of Clonagh, county Limerick, Ireland, 4 miles S.E. of Pallas Grean."